Lead Muungano coffee farmers Roger & Anaweza-Ciza. C2C Fund™ support helped them to grow to 1000 coffee trees & pay for their children's education in 2018.
Development of Buchiro Washing Station in 2018.
SUSTAINABLE QUALITY & INFRASTRUCTURE PROGRESSION
It was during a trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in 2014 that Mozzo first met a then small start-up cooperative in DRC called Muungano. Meaning togetherness in Swahili, “Muungano” is the guiding principal of the cooperative located close to the shores of Lake Kivu in eastern DRC. In one of the poorest countries in Africa, and without so much as an office or computer to their name at the time, Muungano had one thing up their sleeve... sensational coffee!
Muungano’s farmers have the perfect conditions to produce top grade specialty washed-Arabica coffee and they are continually committed to improving quality through progressing their people, infrastructure and agricultural practices.
Investment via the C2C Fund™ since 2015 has enabled Muungano to:
- Build an office & cupping lab to train cupping skills and ensure quality control
- Construct 50 new drying tables
- Rehabilitate the Nyabirehe & Buchiro washing stations following flooding
- Support salaries of 6 field officers training farmers on Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)
- Established internet connection via satellite for the office
- Helped to supply new equipment for the cupping lab
- Construct a 4th washing station at Nyangoma including 15 new drying tables, 2 hand pulpers and building materials for fermentation tanks.